Authorities investigating the lethal gas leak in Karachi’s Keamari area on Monday said the probable cause of health disaster in the Railway Colony which killed nine people and affected over 500 was suspected to be from "Hydrogen Sulphide", a highly poisonous gas that is a byproduct of crude oil and also generated in sewerage system, ONA reports citing Geo Tv.
More than 100 people were shifted to public and private hospitals last night with people complaining of itching eyes, breathing problems and tightness in the chest.
The health and police authorities confirmed the death of at least one person from the suspected gas poisoning on Tuesday morning along with three others, taking the death toll to nine during the past two days.
“Hydrogen Sulphide could be the probable cause of gas poisoning in Keamari area adjacent to Karachi port where some have unfortunately died and dozens were hospitalised on Sunday night,” Sindh Adviser on Environment Murtaza Wahab said on Monday.
“So far, our investigation is inconclusive but our teams are working on it and we have also sought professional assistance from a private firm to help in the investigation," Wahab added.
Wahab said their investigators were suspecting Hydrogen Sulphide poisoning in the Keamari area, adding that some ‘crude oil facilities’ adjacent to the Railway Colony could be the probable source of gas poisoning.
He added the investigation was still underway and non-conclusive at the moment.
“We have summoned the officials of some of the companies who have installations in the area from where gas poisoning was reported. We have also involved some private firms having expertise in such incidents," Wahab said, adding that at the moment, they don’t see any need for mass evacuation of the people from the affected area.