Earlier Thursday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps reported that air defence forces had shot down an RQ-4 Global Hawk reconnaissance drone flying over southern Iran, ONA reports citing Sputnik.
US President Donald Trump has tweeted an ominous and ambiguous six-word tweet in what may be an acknowledgement that a US drone has gone down in Iran, saying "Iran made a very big mistake!"
Trump has yet to clarify what he means as of this writing, but it may be a confirmation of Iran's earlier claims that it downed an RQ-4 Global Hawk as it crossed into Iran's borders over Hormuzgan province.
Earlier, an unnamed US official told Reuters that a Navy MQ-4C Triton drone had been shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile, with the official saying the shoot down took place over international airspace over the strait of Hormuz. The IRGC alleged that the drone in question was a Northrop Grumman RQ-4.
IRGC commander in chief Maj. Gen. Hossein Salami said the downed drone was a "clear message to America," stressing that although Iran was "not seeking war with any country," it was "fully prepared to defend" the country.